Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Design Team Spotlight Series- GiGi McKellips


Hi everyone! We're back with another Design Team Spotlight Series and we are featuring design team member GiGi McKellips from The Cricut Bug Blog.








Can you tell us a little about yourself?

I am married with one boy that just graduated from college this spring. I am also a mom to 3 dogs, 2 of which are just 9 months old. They are A LOT of work LOL!

When & how did you first get into crafts (general)?
I have been crafting my whole life. My mom is also very crafty so I am a jack of all trades when it comes to crafts. I can do almost everything, except knitting! I can do it, but to me, crocheting in easier.

When & how did you first get into card making specifically?
In the early 2000's I was given a scrapbook which started my love for paper. Then I attended a Stampin' Up party which sparked my love for cardmaking.

What is it that you enjoy about cardmaking?
I am a girl in a household with all boys. I LOVE to be able to make CUTE girly things. I also enjoy coloring, it is very calming for me.

Do you give your finished cards away or do you keep them for yourself or do you sell them? If you sell them, where can we find them?
I don't sell my creations, never have. I usually either give them to family or use them personally.

What is your style of card making?
If I had to label my style, I would say "Cutesy CAS"

What is your favorite media to use in card making?
Copic Markers and pattern papers

Besides cardmaking, what other crafting do you do and enjoy?
I love making stickers and other accessories for my planner

Aside from crafting, what other hobbies and things are of interest to you?
I am an avid reader and I also shoot pool (billiards) on a women's league

How did you learn to color? Did you take classes, watch videos or are you self taught?
I learned to color all by myself. I watched YouTube videos and then did a lot of practicing. I've never taken a class

What is your favorite thing to color?
My SAT girls! I have been a SAT girl from the start and will always love them. They are so fun to color and they are SO CUTE!

What is your process in designing a card?
I usually color everything on my girls except for the clothes. Then I find an inspiration color scheme or paper that I want to use and color coordinate from there.

Do you have any “fail safe” tips you can share? 
Use a color chart if you need. This will help pick colors that will always work together

What advice would you give to someone just starting out coloring images or cardmaking?
Practice makes perfect! You get better every time you color something

Tell me something that I may not know about you.
I am a lover of ALL things Disney, Star Wars, and Harry Potter....hence the picture ↑↑↑↑↑↑  😄

Fun facts –
What is your favorite Stamp Anniething stamp and why?
My favorite changes with the seasons...I honestly can say that I have SO MANY favorites that I couldn't just list 1 name!

What is the ONE crafting tool you find to be a MUST for your crafting arsenal?
My Sizzix Big Shot die cutter. I could not make my cards with out it and my dies.

Where can we find you?
Instagram- @cricutbug
Facebook- The Cricut Bug


Here is the card I am sharing today using the Brittney Purr stamp set.




I started this card with a standard A2 card base and added the background mats cut with the Jaded Blossom Card Mat Dies and Border Dies.
I stamped and colored Brittney with Copic Markers and pop dotted her to the card.
To finish, I added some flag dies cut with the Card Layer Dies 1 and stamped the sentiment from the Foxy stamp set.


I hope you all liked my card for today and thanks for visiting!

Have a great day!

No comments :

Post a Comment