Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Design Team Spotlight Series: Tina Herbeck

Hi everyone! Today is the first of our Design Team Spotlight Series and we are featuring design team member Tina Herbeck from The Scrappin Rabbit Blog.


Can you tell us a little about yourself?

I'm married and have 2 kids in High School, one boy and one girl. I live in So.California and I've been teaching college music /vocals for 13 years. I have 2 dogs, 1 cat and 1 bird. My hobbies include paper crafting, painting, reading, and sewing.

When & how did you first get into crafts (general)?

I've enjoyed crafting since I was a kid. I got into rubber stamping in the 90's and fell so in love with embossing and vellum that I made my own wedding invitations. I bought my first Cricut the year they came out and have been hooked ever since. 

When & how did you first get into card making specifically?

As a kid I used to "collect" stationery, especially the itty bitty mini ones like Hello Kitty and My Melody. I used to create my own cards as well and wrote little penpal notes to all my friends. As an adult I started making cards for my mom and my husband when I got into rubber stamping.

What is it that you enjoy about cardmaking?

I enjoy the entire creative process. Starting out with a blank piece of paper and knowing that whatever I create will be a one of a kind original. I LOVE to color and it is a creative outlet for me. 

Do you give your finished cards away or do you keep them for yourself or do you sell them? If you sell them, where can we find them?

I try to give my cards away definitely to close friends and family but I also enjoy sending them as happy mail to crafty friends. I've never sold any of my crafty creations. 

What is your style of card making?  

I think of myself as a "cutesy" crafter. I love creating with critters and cuteness being the focus of the creation. I stamp and do lots of paper piecing so my style includes a combination of both. 

What is your favorite media to use in card making?

I love working with Copics and water colors. I feel more and more confident with these mediums but I do enjoy exploring textures and mixed media like alcohol inks and glitter pastes. 

Besides cardmaking, what other crafting do you do and enjoy?

I love making planner clips, mini albums and other fun crafty swap type of items such as Pocket Letters, and flip books. 

Aside from crafting, what other hobbies and things are of interest to you?

I like sewing but I am a true novice. I hope to have time to get better with that. I enjoy nature and hiking. I also love horseback riding and spending time with my family. 

How did you learn to color? Did you take classes, watch videos or are you self taught?

I am definitely self taught. I would love to take classes one day. My coloring started with the gigantic box of crayons that I got as a kid. We would spend hours coloring in Disney coloring books. I would blend layer upon layer of colors until the entire page was completely covered in a smooth coat of wax. Then I moved on to Tombow markers. Now I love Copics and they have opened up a new world of coloring for me. 

What is your favorite thing to color?

I love to color cute critters. 

What is your process in designing a card?

I start out with the image that will be the main focus first. Then I think about the over all layout of the card and the sentiment. Next, I take forever picking out what papers I will use LOL! Then it all comes together and not necessarily how I originally envisioned it to be haha!

Do you have any “fail safe” tips you can share? 

Always practice on a scratch paper if you can. Never use that one special piece that you only have one of when you are not sure what you are doing. This goes for stamping, diecutting etc....  Know your settings and materials before you start.  

What advice would you have to someone just starting out coloring images or cardmaking?

Just do it! LOL! Have fun! It's only paper and you will improve if you keep at it. Start small and build up technique and style as you go along. And finally, do your research before you invest too much money... not all paper or coloring mediums are created equally. 

Tell me something that I may not know about you.
I was a professional singer and musician before I married. I traveled, performed and made a decent living at it too. 

Fun facts
What is your favorite Stamp Anniething stamp and why? 

Ummmm, that is a tough one...I have many favorites but I will say my MOST favorite is Audrina Make A Splash because she is the one I fell in love with and I HAD to own. She got me hooked on Stamp Anniething!
                           
What is the ONE crafting tool you find to be a MUST for your crafting arsenal?

I cannot craft without my EK Success tweezers. I do so much paper piecing and use it to line up my die cuts. I get so frustrated when I lose that darned tool that I have a backup one just in case I misplace it in the middle of a project. 

Where can we find you?

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thescrappinrabbitpage/
Instagram: @thescrappinrabbit     https://www.instagram.com/thescrappinrabbit/
Blog: http://thescrappinrabbit.blogspot.com/

Here is a card that I made using the adorable Danielle- Springtime.


Here is a video tutorial of how I created this card:



Thank you for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed my project. 

3 comments :

  1. Love this idea of getting to know the DT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun is this!! Love getting to know my teammates a bit better and this card is so incredibly cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Tina, I loved getting to know you more!! You will have to sing, I want to hear :) big hugs, TFS!!

    ReplyDelete